Rejuvenate Your Skin with Botox
posted: Jan 02, 2019.
No matter how well you care for your skin, fine lines and wrinkles are inevitable. Fortunately, Botox offers a simple way to minimize lines and wrinkles without surgery, and it is among the cosmetic services conveniently offered by ophthalmologist and facial plastic surgeon Dr. Dennis Reiter of Visione 360 Eye & Cosmetic Institute in El Paso, TX.
How Does Botox Work?
Botox, a substance derived from the purified botulinum toxin, was first used to treat crossed eyes and spasms in the neck, shoulder, and eyelids. In the early 1990s, ophthalmologist Dr. Jean Carruthers noticed an improvement in frown lines in patients who received the injections for eyelid spasms. In 2002, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Botox for cosmetic purposes, and since then, millions of people have benefited from the treatment.
Botox works by inactivating the muscles you use to make dynamic facial expressions, such as frowning, squinting and laughing. Wrinkles and lines in the skin over the muscles smooth out when the muscles no longer contract regularly.
The needles used to deliver Botox injections are small to limit pain. Your El Paso facial plastic surgeon may also apply a topical anesthetic or cold pack to your face prior to your treatment to ensure that the treatment is a comfortable experience. You'll notice that fine lines and wrinkles are a little less noticeable within a few days after treatment, but it will take up to two weeks to see the full effects of Botox injections.
Botox results typically last about three to six months. Luckily, it's easy to maintain your results by making regular follow-up appointments.
What Types of Wrinkles Are Treated?
Botox is a good choice if you have:
- Lines Between Your Eyes: Do you have vertical lines between your eyes that make you tired or angry? Botox smooths these lines, refreshing your appearance.
- Horizontal Forehead Lines: The injections can also make forehead furrows less noticeable.
- Crow's Feet: Those crinkly lines at the corners of your eyes smooth out after Botox injections
- Lip and Nasolabial Fold Lines: Botox relaxes wrinkles around your lips and smooths the lines that extend from your nose to your mouth on either side of your face.
- Neck Bands: Signs of aging also affect your neck. Botox injections can minimize wrinkles that tend to form bands on your neck.
Enjoy a more youthful appearance with Botox! Call your El Paso, TX, ophthalmologist and facial plastic surgeon Dr. Dennis Reiter of Visione 360 Eye & Cosmetic Institute at (915) 532-3939 to schedule an appointment.